Lundin Norway, the subsidiary of Swedish oil and gas company Lundin Petroleum, has commenced drilling of exploration well 7220/6-2 on the Neiden prospect in the Barents Sea South.
Located in the northern part of license PL609, the prospect is 60km northeast of the Alta discovery and 200km from the Norwegian coastline.
Neiden is estimated to have gross prospective resources of 204 million barrels of oil.
According to Lundin Petroleum, the planned total depth of the well is 1,350m below mean sea level.
Lundin is drilling the well using the drilling rig Island Innovator and may take 40 days to conduct the drilling.
“Neiden is estimated to have gross prospective resources of 204 million barrels of oil.”
PL609 is 40% owned by Lundin Norway and other partners include DEA Norge and Idemitsu Petroleum Norge, who own a 30% working interest each.
Separately, Lundin Petroleum’s wholly owned subsidiary Lundin Malaysia commenced drilling at Mengkuang-1 exploration well in license PM307, offshore Malaysia.
The well, which will be drilled with the West Prospero jack-up rig to a total depth of 1,300m below mean sea level, will target hydrocarbons in Miocene aged sands 75km to northwest of the Bertam field.
Lundin Malaysia holds 75% working interest in PM307 and the remaining 25% is held by Petronas Carigali.
In Malaysia, Lundin Malaysia operates six blocks namely PM307, PM319, PM308A, PM308B, PM328 and SB307/308.