Gazprom Neft Middle East will carry out a 2D seismic survey on the south-eastern section of the Halabja block in Iraqi Kurdistan.
The company is currently transferring the technical equipment and personnel needed for the survey from the south-western section, where it has already completed a survey spanning 225 linear km.
2D seismic surveys covering about 870 linear km are due to be carried out on the Halabja block by the end of 2015.
“The Halabja block has until now undergone very little geological study.”
A 2D seismic survey covering 130 linear km was carried out on the block in 2014. The first exploration well is anticipated to be drilled in 2015/2016.
Gazprom Neft Middle East CEO Mikhail Kholodov said: “The Halabja block has until now undergone very little geological study. Conducting seismological surveys is the first step towards identifying the optimal location for an exploration well and these provide a significant amount of new information on the structure of the block.”
Gapzrom Neft is involved in four projects in Iraq, three of which are located in Kurdistan.
The company owns an 80% interest in the Halabja and Shakal blocks. The Kurdistan Regional Government holds the remaining 20% stake.
In August 2014, the drilling of two exploration wells started at the Shakal block, which are currently undergoing testing.